Cougars beat Springwood in 1st round, eye Macon-East
Escambia Academy’s fast start Friday ended in a 48-8 victory over Springwood School in the first round of the AISA Class 2A state playoffs.
The Cougars led 36-0 at the end of the first quarter, and 48-0 at halftime.
With the victory, EA faces Macon-East at home this Friday in the state semifinals. Macon-East defeated Wilcox Academy 28-25 last week. The Cougars defeated Wilcox 35-6 on Sept. 11.
The last time EA played Macon-East was in 2017. The Cougars won 50-13 in a road contest, and then went on to win the state championship over Autauga Academy.
If EA (9-1) wins Friday, this will be the fifth-straight trip to the state championship game in Troy.
EA’s scoring plays by quarter last week included:
• Landon Sims scored on a 50-yard punt return with 9:59 left in the first. With the point after touchdown (PAT), EA led 7-0.
• Bubba Nettles scampered in from 5 yards, and JJ Stevens converted the 2-point conversion for a 15-0 lead.
• Devin Kelly scooped up a fumble and ran it back 50 yards for a score. With the PAT, the Cougars led 22-0.
• Sims added a 5-yard score with 2:56 left in the first for a 29-0 advantage.
• Sims then connected with Randall Bonds ojn a 44-yard strike with 27 seconds left in the first. EA led 36-0 with the PAT.
• Nettles scored on a 14-yard scamper with 5:08 left in the first half.
• Sims found Nettles on a 17-yard touchdown pass with 1:14 left in the second. The PAT was no good.